Check out the Maryland Business Express web portal, where many documents can be ordered and received instantly!

Order Copies of Business Documents

Order Documents Online

Most documents filed after August 2001 can be viewed for free by the public online through the Business Entity Search. You may need certified copies of these documents for various reasons, such as opening a bank account. To view or order copies of documents, follow these steps:

  1. Visit the Business Entity Search
  2. Enter the business name or Department ID for the business for which you need documents
  3. Select the appropriate business from the results
  4. Click the 'Filing History' tab to see the documents (in PDF format) associated with the business
  5. Select the eye icon to view the document (a line through the eye denotes a document which cannot be sent electronically - it can be sent via postal mail)
  6. To order copies, click on the Order Documents button at the bottom right of the screen

Certificate of Status

A “Certificate of Status” is often required by a business to obtain a license, a license renewal or a loan. Also called a “good standing” certificate, it is issued by the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation. On the specific date and time of the request, the Department issues a certificate verifying that a business entity is in “good standing,” which means that all documents and fees required by law to be submitted to the Department have been received and that no other government agency has notified the Department that the entity is out of compliance.

For more information on why your business may not be in Good Standing status, visit the Maintain Good Standing Status page.

Order Certificate of Status Online

To obtain a certificate for a business registered with the Department, visit Maryland Business Express, and select “Certificate of Status”. The authenticity of Certificates purchased online can be verified here.

Additional Notes

Certificates are NOT available for entities that:

  • do not have a Resident Agent,
  • have not filed all Annual Reports and Personal Property Tax Returns, or
  • have unpaid penalties.

If a business is not in good standing with SDAT, it is recommended that all issues be resolved before purchasing a certificate.

Certificates are NOT available for:

  • General Partnerships,
  • Trade Names,
  • Name reservations,
  • Sole Proprietorships,
  • Government entities, or
  • Special entities such as public utilities.