Whether it’s finding building sites, business incubators or research parks, Maryland has the resources to help.
Find a Site or Building for Your Business
Maryland’s database of commercial and industrial properties lists properties that can typically accommodate a single user needing 20,000 square feet or more of industrial or office space. Additionally, it contains listings for land zoned for industrial or office development of at least 10 acres that is qualified for new construction permits. Smaller properties are sometimes shared for rural parts of the state.
Find an Incubator for Your Business
Maryland provides startups with a network of incubators that provide startups with the support and space they need to flourish. Our incubator search tool can help you find an incubator to meet your needs.
Find a Research Park
Maryland offers a mix of science and technology parks that are affiliated with some of the best universities and research centers the world has to offer. These programs provide significant partnering opportunities for your business. Maryland is also the home of these research parks:
- bwtech@UMBC: Offers programs geared towards cyber and technology industries and is nationally recognized for life sciences and high-tech. Partners with UMBC, which is consistently ranked top in the nation for innovation.
- The Science & Technology Park at Johns Hopkins: Located near the Johns Hopkins Medical Center, this 88 acre mixed-use redevelopment project offers state of the art science research facilities, residential living space, a new K-8 public school, and open outdoor space.
- University of Maryland BioPark: Located in downtown Baltimore, the UMD BioPark is a thriving biomedical research institution hosting numerous professional schools. This research park offers lab and office space, and 12 buildings to accommodate small and large-scale occupants.
- University of Maryland Discovery District: UMD’s Discovery District is Maryland’s largest research park offering a variety of attractions such as office space for lease and conference centers while linking researchers, students, and staff from the nearby University with federal and private sector tenants.
- Hercules Pinkney Life Sciences Park: This research park is located in Montgomery County, Maryland, in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and offers immediate access to I-270. The park accommodates life science, cybersecurity, and other technology companies.
- Riverside Research Park: This is a 177 acre biomedical research and development campus located in Frederick, Maryland along the Monocacy River.
- Johns Hopkins Montgomery County Campus: This campus is located within the I-270 Corridor and offers easy access to a renowned community of Johns Hopkins professors, resources, and facilities to help expand technological companies and to assist entrepreneurs.
Find an Opportunity Zone
Maryland offers Opportunity Zones which are an economic development tool designed to spur economic development and job creation in distressed communities by making new investments eligible for preferential tax treatment under certain conditions. There are 149 Opportunity Zones located across the State of Maryland. If you are interested in starting or expanding your business in an Opportunity Zone, visit this map of approved Opportunity Zones in Maryland.